Springfield is located in the Goodland
Township. The approximate boundaries extend from the Aiken County
line and the South Fork Edisto River and almost to Highway 321.
However, the area that this site will be interested in will be
approximately a five mile radius, but, only within Orangeburg County.
Springfield was first chartered on
December 19, 1887, with a radius of one-half mile. According to
information in the book, "Springfield South Carolina A Small Town Saga
in Orangeburg County" (Note; book info in left column.)
there was some controversy about what to name the new town. Some
wanted it named Millersville. Capt. John G. Guinyard, who surveyed
the town, suggested that the town be given the name of "Springfield"
because it was located on the famous old Springs' field. That met
with the approval of the crowd. Thus, the new town was named for
the Patriot, Henry Spring, who lived in the area about a century
On February 12, 1918 the South Carolina
General Assembly approved a new charter and the Springfield town limits
were changed to extend exactly three-fourths mile in every direction from
the center of Town. The exact center of Springfield is at the
intersection of the center of the former railroad track and the center of
Springfield Road (Highway 4).
Longitude is: 81° 16' 45"W.
Latitude is: 33° 29' 47"N. (Longitude is in degrees west of
Greenwich, England and Latitude is in degrees north of the Equator.
And now a bit of distance trivia.
Distance: To the Equator, 2,304 miles. To San
Francisco, 2,323 miles. To the North Pole, 3,911
miles. (Of course, all miles are the shortest air mile
The highest elevation above sea level
inside Springfield is 309 ft., and is located at the intersection
of Aiken and Walnut Streets.
Average rainfall: 46.5
Population: 504 (2000 census)
In the early years of the 20th Century
an electric generator on Dean Swamp Creek, adjacent to Highway 4, provide
all of the electricity for Springfield.
Highway 4 between Neeses and Springfield
was first paved with concrete about 1937. Until it was
re-paved with asphalt, about 1953, it was a bumpy road to drive on.
The Town Hall building on the northeast
corner of Springfield Road and Surrey Race Road was actually the old
Railroad Depot building. It was moved to the present location in
either 1976 or 1977. Prior to the present day location, all Town
business was conducted in the small Police Station across from the present
The present telephone exchange building
on Surrey Race Road, which allows dialing of a phone, went into operation
in July 1957. Prior to that time there was a telephone switchboard
located in a private home just a few feet west of Mary's Country
Kitchen. Prior to that location, the first switchboard was located
in the former Givens House on the northeast corner of Railroad Ave. and Aiken
Photo courtesy of Mr. Wilber Grooms and Mr. Roy
PEANUTS BOILED FRESH
Bobby's peanut shack is located
across from GoodLand Bar-Be-Que.
have been sold in the vicinity of the Railroad tracks in Springfield
each summer for at least 65 years,
and probably much longer. Just why
this practice has lasted so long is unclear. The "play" has always been
the same, but there have been many different "actors." However, Bobby
has added a unique twist to the Boiled Peanuts sales. Years ago one
could hear the vendors yell, "Boiled Peanuts, nickel a bag!" Bobby has created a stationary
sales site, for his peanuts, (locals call it the PEANUT SHACK) along with cold drinks for sale to wash down
those delicious "penders." In the 1930s they were called penders by many
locals. Some even called them "goobers." Whatever
you wish to call them, we call
them GOOD! Thanks, Bobby, for your
contribution in promoting our heritage. ( By-the-way, they
are no longer "nickel a bag", just like gasoline in no
longer 17 cents a gallon!) Please see note in left column.
MY OLD HOME TOWN
SPRINGFIELD, SOUTH CAROLINA
Between the black waters of the South Fork
Edisto River and Goodland Creek.
This section of the Goodland History Page is
especially designed for those who once called Springfield home, but now live
far away and return infrequently. About every ten days a new
photograph be displayed that will show some of the changes that are being
made, or have been made in the little old town you once called home.
Those changes might be old buildings that are no longer safe or useful and
destined for demolition, or new construction. The aerial photo
below will remain permanently in place.
SPRINGFIELD, SOUTH CAROLINA, August 2, 2005